Gels, powders, inks, stamps, fibres… there really are no limits to the kind of products brands are developing to give us the thick, luscious brows of our dreams. Unfortunately, the one thing they all have in common is that they need to be reapplied every day, and there’s no guarantee you can get the same precise style every time. I don’t know about you, but if I have to choose between hitting the snooze button once more and cursing in the mirror as I try to coax my brows into the Delevingne-esque style I once managed for a night out, I’m picking the ZZZs.
Luckily, you don’t have to choose. Time-strapped beauties can get their last few minutes of rest and red carpet-ready brows thanks to the semi-permanent makeup technique known as microblading. The popularity of microblading continues to rise every year and it’s really no surprise. The technique creates beautiful, natural-looking brows that are personalised for your bone structure and hair colour. Using a tiny needle, the pigments are applied in super-fine, feather-light strokes that mimic the appearance of real hairs. Microbladed brows last up to two years, but to ensure you keep them looking their best, you need to give them a little TLC.
Your quick guide to caring for microbladed brows
Looking after your new brows is a bit like looking after a new tattoo, but you need to pay them a bit more attention because the pigments aren’t placed so deep in the skin and any mistakes are difficult to hide!
The first thing you should know is that it takes a little while for your brows to develop into their final colour. Directly after your appointment, your skin will be red and the pigment will appear much darker than you might have anticipated. This is completely normal. After a week or two the redness will have completely subsided, your skin will be healed and your brows will be the perfect shade for your hair and skin tone.
Now let’s dive into the tips!
- A couple of hours after your appointment, make sure to wipe your brows with a cotton swab dipped in a sterile water to remove any excess dye and clean your skin.
- Try to avoid getting your brows wet for the first ten days after your appointment. (So no swimming, and take care when showering or washing your face.)
- Don’t wear makeup over your brow area for the first week. The tiny cuts are still healing and you don’t want to irritate the skin.
- Do your best not to scratch or rub your microbladed brows. As the skin heals it can feel itchy, so this might be tough to stick to! Stay strong, ladies.
- Try to prevent any irritation around your brows by keeping your fringe clear of it and avoiding excess sweating. (Yes, this is your official excuse for ditching that spin class you love to hate just this once. You’re welcome.)
- If your technician gives you any creams or balms to apply, follow their instructions! They’re highly trained and know their stuff.
Once your brows are fully healed:
- Apply daily sun cream to prevent fading.
- Keep them clean and moisturised.
- Visit your technician every six months or so for a touch up.
So now you know how to look after them, why not book in for your microblading appointment with roots Salon today? Our expert technicians will consult with you to design the most beautiful brows of your life!